Saturday, September 11, 2010

"Crucible" is a synonym for "Melting Pot"

As I write, I have not seen today's news. Therefore, I do not know if that Gainesville pastor burned books today or not. I hope not, if for no other reason than because it is disrespectful. That the event was planned and promoted by a church and community leader is, to me, religious hypocrisy at its finest.

I do want to hear what did and did not happen. From news reports and the thought leadership of pundits and experts, I will extract facts and form my own conclusions and opinion. The unshakable foundation of my opinion is that this man's words and actions are his legal right under the US Constitution.

What I do not want to hear are Lincoln's words, "I do not like that man. I must get to know him better." I don't want to hear those words because I know the words are good and right, and point me in the direction of making an honorable, respectful response to the man in Gainesville and his circus of violent disrespect.

I do not want to get to know that man better. I do not want to better understand his experience, perspective, hopes, triumphs, tragedies and dreams. The mere thought of gaining self-knowledge by walking in his shoes is revolting. I do not want to validate his American existence. I prefer to walk through fire myself before I let his reality touch mine.

But that is the test, isn't it? Acknowledging his American existence and rights under the US Constitution is a responsibility inherent to my own American existence. Supporting the rights of abhorrent people to speak their minds and act as they will within the confines of the law is the American Crucible.

As American children we learn that America is a Melting Pot. We are taught to think of the Melting Pot as a fine mixture of nationalities, races and dreams; all united and indivisible. Experience teaches us that we are highly divisible, and that even Americans who unite against us deserve Americas protections.

This knowledge burns, as does the test. This American chooses to accept both the opportunity and the responsibilities of living in this democracy. I choose to put my hand in the fire of the American Crucible so that the Melting Pot can continue to smelt diversity into innovation. I choose to feel the emotional heat and intellectual discomfort in order to protect the rights and freedoms of the next person. It might be someone who does deserve America's protections. It might be me.

So I will watch the news coverage of what happened today. I will listen for something--maybe more than one thing--by which I might get to know the Koran-burning Gainesville pastor better. I do believe that I will also stand by my right to still not like that man.

No comments:

Post a Comment